Disclosure: This post may contain affliate links. We may recieve a small commission if you purchase something using the link. It won't cost you any extra money. Please check our disclosure policy for more information.
While much of Adelaide and South Australia tucks itself away into the warmth of an open fire and red wine, there are plenty of boat trips running around the state to blow away those winter cobwebs.
Last year we wrote a popular Weekend Notes article – Top 8 South Australia Boat Trips in Winter and is still relevant today with some of South Australia’s best boat trips available. Check out this post for full details.
The best winter boat trips in South Australia
In summary, here are the top 8 boat trips to enjoy what winter in South Australia has to offer:
- Whale watching with Big Duck Tours – Victor Harbour
- Dolphin watching with the Dolphin Explorer – Port Adelaide
- Explore the River Torrens with the Popeye cruise – Adelaide CBD
- Cruise the Coorong National Park with Spirit of the Coorong – Goolwa
- Captain Proud Paddle Boats – Murray River, Murray Bridge
- Learn to sail and take on an adventure with Adelaide Sailing School – Glenelg
- Relax on a houseboat whilst cruising the River Murray – Paringa, Murray Bridge and Mannum
[widgets_on_pages id=”Widget Groupon Horizontal Find thing to do”]
Whale watching boat trips in South Australia
South Australia has some of the best whale watching spots in Australia. From June to September each year, you can spot the migration of Southern Right Wales from Kangaroo Island, the Eyre Peninsula and the Fleurieu Peninsula.
And it’s not just whales this time of year. During winter months, the waters around South Australia come alive with wildlife, from dolphins, seals and seabirds who come out to play when the ocean can be at some of its calmest points during the year.
Here are the top boat trips available for whale watching:
- Kangaroo Island Ocean Safari – Kangaroo Island – prices start from $55 per child, $88 per adult
- Big Duck Tours – Victor Harbour, Fleurieu Peninsula – prices start from $50 per child, $65 per adult
- EP Cruises – Fowlers Bay, Eyre Peninsula – prices start from $65 per child, $95 per adult
Eager to know how active the whales have been? Check out the SA Whale Centre online live sightings log.
Winter boat hire in South Australia
Winter is also the best time to hit the water and hire your own boat for a bit of fishing! South Australia has some of the best fishing at this time of year with King George Whiting, squid, flathead, snapper, salmon, mullet and garfish coming in their droves.
Check out the local weather report before you head out and a boat licence is required in South Australia for boat hire.
Here are the top boat hires in South Australia:
- BA Boat Hire – available from North Haven or West Beach, Adelaide
- EP Boat Hire – Mount Dutton Bay, Eyre Peninsula
- SA Boat Hire – Adelaide
- Freedom Ski Boat Hire – Murray Bridge and Barmera, Riverland
- Murray Bridge Ski Boat Hire – Murray area, Riverland
- Boat Hire from Port Vincent Auto – Yorke Peninsula
There is also a couple of new kids in town:
- Dogtooth Marine Boat Hire – check out their Bar Crusher available to hire – Port Adelaide
- Wallaroo Boat & Jet Ski Hire – Yorke Peninsula
Winter fishing charters in South Australia
South Australia is certainly not short of a fishing charter or two! In fact, there are plenty to chose from whichever coastline you may be on!
Go to the extreme with full day deep sea fishing charters or just hang around locally for half a day to see if your luck is in!
All of these fishing charters would be happy to help arrange a winter fishing trip:
- Strike 1 Fishing Charters – West Beach, Adelaide (check out our review here of this fishing charter)
- Go Get Em Fishing Charters – West Beach, Adelaide
- Glenelg Fishing Charters – Glenelg, Adelaide
- Absolute Fishing Charters – Glenelg, Adelaide
- Get Hooked Fishing Charters – West Beach or North Haven, Adelaide
- Balgowan Charters – Balgowan, Yorke Peninsula
- Big Red Fishing Charters – Balgowan, Yorke Peninsula
- Double Header Fishing Charters – Port Broughton, Yorke Peninsula
- Keen as Fish Fishing Charters – Marion Bay, Yorke Peninsula
- Marion Bay Fishing Charters – Marion Bay, Yorke Peninsula
- Reef Encounters Fishing Charters – Marion Bay & Pondalowie Bay, Yorke Peninsula
- Reel Action Fishing Charters – Marion Bay, Yorke Peninsula
- Real Screamer Fishing Charters – Point Turton, Yorke Peninsula
- Port Hughes Fishing Charters – Port Hughes, Yorke Peninsula
- Fleurieu Charters – Cape Jervis, Fleurieu Peninsula
- Pirate’s Sea Charters – Victor Harbor, Fleurieu Peninsula
- Triple Bay Charters – Port Lincoln, Eyre Peninsula
- GT Fishing Charters – Coffin Bay, Eyre Peninsula
- Ceduna Boat Charters – Ceduna, Eyre Peninsula
- Arno Bay Fishing Charters – Arno Bay, Eyre Peninsula
- Cowell Fishing Adventures – Cowell, Eyre Peninsula
- Kangaroo Island Fishing Adventures – Kangaroo Island
- Emu Bay Fishing Charters – Kangaroo Island
Visiting Adelaide during other months of the year? Find our top 12 boat trips, cruises, water adventures and water sports in our Adelaide post here.
So remember to wrap up warm, grab the camera and explore South Australia in some of its finest moments.
[widgets_on_pages id=”Widget Get Your Guide Adelaide”]
Water loving British girl who moved to Australia and seriously caught the travel bug! Loves to explore and share destinations that inspire others to spend more time on the water and in the great outdoors. Typically, you’ll find her on a boat or next to the ocean, often in a daydream!